Monday, February 22, 2010

Craft Blanket Tuitorial

This is my fun friend, Amy. She started this whole mess.

We were freezing at a crop, and she ran out to her car to get her "Wish Blanket"--an expensive gift from a friend. It was kind of like a Snuggie--but really cool because you could stay warm and be a functional person at the same time. (Not so easy to do with a Snuggie.) She showed me her blanket, I made fun of her (aren't I nice?), and then I tried it on.



I didn't want to give it back. I had to have one. But not at that price tag.



And so a project was born.



Found these inexpensive blankets at Walmart for $10. The key is the fabric--soft and really lofty. Bonus points for being printed on both sides (you'll see why later.) It also had finished blanket stitched sides (yippee!!)

Fold the blanket in half, like so...


On a large, flat surface, fold in the two sides like so...

Next, cut out a big "U" shape, making sure to only cut through a single layer of the blanket.

You'll be left with a piece like this. Save it for a pocket if you desire! In this sample, she used that remnant as a pocket, with the blanket stitched edge as the top of the pocket.

Turned out cute!! In my own, I merely folded up the ends and sewed pockets (which is why I wanted double-sided fabric.)

And there you have it. Special thanks to Molly and her daughter Anna for being my models for this blog post. :)

And for those of you who are visual learners and need a sketch, here is my very rough version (imagine it spread out on the floor.)
If you're a freeze-baby like me, give this project a try. We love ours!!

6 comments:

jamie said...

more cleverness oozing from your pores!

borcherding said...

OMG!! This is the perfect post!! So freakin' funny because I was JUST joking with a friend of mine (who is ALWAYS cold) and we were making funny of the snugglie. I have GOT to make her one of these!! You always have the perfect posts!!

Kaysi said...

Fun! It look so nice and warm, I would love it right now :)

LisaNRoxy said...

Holy beans!! I love love love it - are you taking orders?!?!?!? :D

Snuggie Pattern Patty said...

Wow, that is very creative! Snuggies and related items are a great thing for all.

pickmepam said...

you guys are wackadoodles!
too, too funny!