Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Travel Journal

There is a severe need in my life to keep track, make lists, bullet point the day. While preparing for a family vacation last year to Florida, I knew I wanted to have a journal with me to do just that, keep track of the days and happenings. Ali Edwards has always been inspirational with her travel journals that she basically puts together while on the road. So from all these thoughts grew this mini travel journal. Mini because it is only 4 x 5 3/4 inches. Perfect to throw in my bag and go.

The Florida map paper was a perfect find at my local scrapbook store. It's by paper love designs. I just picked up several for our Virginia trip the other day. Anyway, it has this great vintage feel about it. Using scraps of chipboard that I am forever hoarding, I covered the front with the patterned paper. The chipboard frame is covered in Making Memories scraps. The label is just part of my stash, and then titled it with those fabulous MM mini alphas. And notice the MM Passport sticker on the side. Used those through the book.

The inside is made up of eclectic pieces of various ledger paper. I love ledger paper. It's not matchy matchy inside, which was perfect for me. I just had fun making spaces for journaling, using date stamps or journal spots throughout. Also in the back is included an envelope to capture this and that as I come across it on my travel.


You can see the different pieces that make up the journal part. I left room for a photo or two as well.

I encourage you to make one of these fun mini's if you are taking off on vacation this summer. Even if it is camping for a weekend, there are endless things to save and write about in that situation as well. Just have fun with the inside and let the possiblities lead you where they will take you. I promise it will be a book to be held and loved for many years to come.

9 comments:

Jewel said...

Oh my gosh - I love this journal! I will have to make one for our vacation this summer. Thanks for the great idea.

Trish said...

As always, you've inspired me to do one ahead of our vacation that is just around the corner...thanks so much for sharing!! Hope you all had a fun trip to VA!!

Nathalie said...

This looks great!!! I love the idea too!

Ryzmomplus2 said...

that is adorable and such a great idea! I must get one together for our upcoming trip!

Laina Lamb said...

Love this so much Jamie. Very cool

Lori said...

Did you create the entire journal - bound it and all, or did you buy it and decorate. Very cute and I love the size. I carry enough on trips and the last thing I need to have in my already oversized and overstuffed "mom bag" is a full-size journal.

Jill said...

I'm so backwards - I end up on vacation scrounging for scraps of paper to journal our trip on. Then when I get home I sort of stuff my collection of scraps in an envelope. One of these times I will think ahead and get the journal made BEFORE the trip. Great design! Thanks for the reminder.

jamie said...

hey Lori... I covered the back and front and bound it myself. That book is a total use up of scraps book. We just got back from our trip to VA, and I was so glad to have that little book with me to keep track of our days. It helped too when I came across foods that I loved, I jotted them down to so I could re-create them at home as well. It just worked out perfect.

Lori said...

Thanks Jamie - guess I'll need to get my Bind-it-All out of the box, huh?