Friday, September 21, 2007

Sketches

The first time I saw Becky Higgin's Sketches, I knew I was in love. I remember feeling like it was an epiphany for me--that finally, I had a resource that I could turn to and accomplish something when I was stuck. Today, I still feel the same way.

Here is a layout I made yesterday, using one of her famous sketches, and more leftovers from the October WIP kit:
The concept Becky uses of counting how many pictures one has to be used on the layout, and then turning to a section in a book that would give you ideas based on not just the amount of pictures on hand, but also the size and the orientation of photographs was (and still is) ingenious. Start with the photos. Go from there. Quick, easy and painless. Especially for people like me who need a jump start.

One of the things I love about Becky's style is that it is classic and timeless. Those are two elements I strive for on my own layouts. Just yesterday I looked back though several of my own books, and I'm still happy with many of the layouts I did 4-5 years ago. My style hasn't really changed--and I'm good with that. If I were to describe my own personal scrapbook style, I would have to say that the above layout pretty much is it. I prefer cardstock over patterned paper. I prefer multiple pictures that vary in size opposed to one photo. I generally go light on embellies. I love to mat photographs and I am all about sappy journaling.

There is something to be said for trends, no doubt. I am a paper junkie, and have a brad stash that could rival a local scrapbook store. That's just me--the way I create--what I prefer.

What about you?

When you look over your past work, does it stand the test of time?

What gets you inspired when you're stuck?

And what type of products do you consider your "signature?"

If you'd like to email me instead of openly sharing, feel free to drop me a line at Turay413@gmail.com. Or go ahead and share in the comment section below!

Have a great weekend!

5 comments:

Ania said...

Hmmm normally I don't like my own stuff after like 2-3 weeks. And challenges, contests and assignments keeps me going when Im stuck :) Love Scenic Route - never fails when everything else doesn't work :)

Ady said...

It's funny but I posted on my blog on tuesday www.scrapangel.blogspot.com what I want to incorporate on my pages and it's really much the same of what you like Trish. Hummmn interesting...

Unknown said...

Hmmm I think you might have sold me on this sketch book :) I can look at pages I did 6-8yrs ago and know they are my work. My style hasn't changed a whole love over the years. I like to keep things clean and well...straight :lol: I find that lately the scrap world has focused more of the products/techniques and less on the pictures and story which to me is what scrapping is supposed to be about.
That being said.....I think I need to run to my LSS and grab that new BH book ;)

Rita said...

I have always been drawn to Becky's style of scrapbooking. I have been tearing out her sketches and putting them in a binder for years, so to say I'm looking forward to owning this book is an understatement!! Some of my favorite layouts are based on her sketches.
BTW, I am jealous that you have the book....I haven't seen it at any of the stores around here yet!!

emelyn said...

Ania, you are too funny!

My style, I think it has evolved since my CM days, but in the past few years, it's been pretty much the same, but with different. I find myself scraplifting layouts I did a few years ago...LOL!

I like using embellishments and patterned paper. My go to embellishments are brads!